Monday, August 25, 2008

Chicago's Accenture Triathlon

Well, we traveled to Chicago for the largest race in the world, and it lived up to that and then some. First... the event. Oh man... it was triathlon heaven... an HUGE hotel full of athletes and bikes... it was awesome to see so many tri-bikes being wheeled up and down the hallways. So many athletes and gear all in one place. There was a 3 day triathlon Expo in the lower level of the hotel that had everything that you would every need in the sport of triathlon. A major shopping spree.

Sunday morning was a truly remarkable sight... sunrise over Lake Michigan and 9000 athletes ready to rock...

















Brandon took off @ 6:04, Trevor and I were not starting until 8:45... I will save everyone the individual race details. But I would like to share the overall experience.

After the Swim start you had about a 1/2 mile run to the transition to get your bike. Sounds pretty simple... but check out the size of the transition area. We could not even fit it into one picture. Its HUGE!


























Here is a picture of the finish line area that just seemed to NEVER come any closer while on the run.




I could or should do an entire post just about the race... but I am just not into it right now... maybe in a day or so.


And I guess the rest of the weekend might explain why I feel that way. We got to Chicago on Thursday... we were to meet up with a local triathlon team that was hosting a dinner and fundraiser in our honor. I am still blown away by that. But the evening was incredible. We sat in attendance while the team conducted their business followed by a nice dinner. After dinner I was to give a speech about the meaning of being a Donor Family and basically tell my story... after I finished... Terry (the guy that got my brothers heart) went next. I think the speeches went very well... not a dry eye left in the place and you could hear a pin drop throughout the entire thing. It was great to say the least. I still can't believe how much Libby and her Together We Tri team did for us.







I don't know if I can really put into words how grateful I am to everyone at Together We Tri... without them this trip would not have been possible and they were the nicest people you could ever meet. I will see them again...


At the Expo while on my shopping spree... we came across a booth that said... "Find a Cure or Die Trying". Naturally, thinking that somehow this guy might be doing something similar we asked him what he was all about. Danny has Cystic Fibrosis... he is trying to qualify for the Kona Ironman and will be running a marathon it Milan, Italy soon. He does this to stay in the best shape possible and raise money to find a cure for CF. Danny has about 50% lung capacity... and pushing himself to the limits is the best way for him to combat his disease.



We met another guy along the way. I have emailed him several times in the past... and he decided that he would like to have lunch with us on Saturday. He calls himself Breathin Steven. Steve had CF just like Danny, but 8 years ago he received a lung transplant. He was given the lungs of an 18 year old girl from Iowa. Steven now is that biggest Iowa supporter I have ever seen and is truly living his life in memory of Kari... his donor. After meeting him for a 45 minute lunch and saying our good-bye on a sidewalk full of people... my entire family and Steven were all left wondering what just happened... and why all the tears. It was an unforgettable meeting.




On Sunday... Trevor and I were sitting in the grass waiting for our swim to start... guess who walks up? Ole' breathin Steven... back again wearing more Iowa stuff. It seems like every 5 minutes the guy would tell us that we "rocked" or how "awesome" we were. He sees it more than we do, the effect that we could have while promoting the organ donation... and after hearing that from him. I know we are doing the right thing. Here is a final picture with us, Danny and Steven in it.





3 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish I could put into words all my thoughts now...its not often I am rendered speechless, I'll just say again what I have said a thousand times already...you guys are an inspiration and what you are doing is beautiful.

BreathinSteven said...

You buncha crybabies...

And you DO rock and you ARE awesome -- all three of you and your Mom & Pop...

And you're right -- I do see the effect that you have more than you do... I have friends who I love waiting for lungs. I see it in their eyes when I tell them about people like you and Trevor and Brandon... You saw it in my eyes, sometimes through my tears...

Like Chase -- Kari let her family know in the months before she died how strongly she felt about organ donation. I'll never know what made her feel that way -- it may have been hearing a story about three guys like you, and about Chase... Someone like you may be the reason I'm still Breathin'Steven and not just Remember Steven?

I think about Kari always -- she's on my mind throughout the day, every day... And yes -- I probably have more Iowa apparel than most alums. It feels warm and safe when I put it on -- it feels like I'm wrapping her around me...

I did post about y'all today -- your Dad left me a comment that will be special to me until I take my last breath:

Swim, Bike, Run, Chase...

I'm proud of the three of you -- and of your Mom and Dad... And like I'm in awe of Kari -- I'm in awe of Chase...

Love,

Steve

Deniel Hopkins said...

interesting post and love the photos!! especially that sunset one!!
keep tri-ing :)