Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Some Good News and Some Not So Good....

Hello all...

I know that I am not very good at keeping things up to date... But I guess I prefer to give you substance over quantity. At least that is my reasoning.

I was off work all last week and that is never a good thing... yep you heard me right. I tend to work harder around the house. Which again was the case. I also can get distracted by not being in a regular schedule... I think I only ran twice and went on one bike ride. (but it was a 32 miler)

I am getting ready for the Transplant Games in Pittsburgh. I am pretty excited that Trevor and Brandon are going. I think they are going to be just as overwhelmed as I am everytime I go. It is truely amazing and I wish everyone could experience it once. We have some exciting events planned. On Friday we are going to the Pirates vs. Cardinals baseball game at PNC Park. It is supposed to be one of the best places to watch a game. So that is kinda cool.

On Saturday Terry (the guy the got Chase's heart) and Jerry (the kidney recipient on our tri team) swim for Team Michigan. Each will be in their own events but also on the same relay team. The opening ceremonies will also be on Saturday. Terry and I are going to be a part of that. Which is a pretty big deal... maybe 20,000 people or so. It is usually a pretty exciting thing.

Then there is the bad things that happen to good people... looks like my uncle has a long road. He had his first kemo treatment yesterday... We are all praying for the best and know he is a fighter.

A little more news that wasn't so good. We were chosen for a People Magazine article about the Transplant Games and our family. But I found out yesterday that the story was scrapped due to the AP getting the a hold of the story that was supposed to be a People Magazine exclusive. So know I am working with the reporter on getting the story for us and the triathlon team. She says that she is really going to push us getting in...but I need to write something up for the editors and make a presentation.

Family news... Cade was picked to play in an All-Star Baseball Tournament in a couple weeks... he is really pumped up about it. That is the only thing that the kids have going on... well, sports related thing that is going on for the entire month of July. A nice break from running here and there every night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lon!

I am in the middle of a long day at the office after our return from the Transplant Games last night. I just told a coworker about your family's story and about how successful Terry and Jerry were at the games. It actually brought tears to my eyes relaying the information, so I figured I would google you and try to send you a message.

I am the volunteer at the games who had read your story and felt the pressing need to give you our Phi Sig Transplant Games pins, which were the yen of pin trading as everyone had them in excessive quantities, but I hope the message of thanks was clear. I was fortunate enough to have both Terry and Jerry in my lane on Saturday at the pool. They have been the dramatic reminder of both the boundless generosity of your family and the reality of miracles. I feel blessed to have met your family and Michigan teammates; thank you for sharing your stories.

As for your good and bad news, it just goes to show that not many things remain sacred anymore, but are scandalized through the neccessity of business over compassion and awareness. Keep fighting. I hope that many others can happen upon your story just as I did.

Enjoy the rest of the Games!

Hillary Paul
Phi Sigma Sigma

TRI for Life - Lon said...

Hillary, thank you for your interest in our story. Thanks again for the pin too.

I am glad you felt fortunate to have Terry and Jerry in your lane for the swimming events. Just imagine how fortunate I feel that I have them in my life too and people like you to be touched by our story.

It really meant a lot to me to meet you, and I appreciate you taking the time and courage to come say hi. I have told a lot of people about you and our brief meeting. It imspires us to keep moving forward and keep sharing... cause it works.

I hope you read a little bit about the TRI for Life thing we have going on. Feel free to follow us along. I will be updating the website soon with pictures from the Transplant Games and our upcoming triathlons.

Here is the website www.donatelifetriathlon.com

Please keep in touch.