Friday, May 9, 2008

Something has to give...

I read a lot of blogs written by triathletes. I am drawn to the race recaps... I love to hear about the race in detail and envision the finish line of an Ironman through someone else's experience. At the end... almost every time... the athlete thanks family and friends for their support. I know that training for an Ironman is an amazing commitment. I am training to race Olympic distance events this year... I am scared out of my mind.

I look at my upcoming schedule and I don't know how it's going to work. I will be at the baseball fields 4 nights a week with my two oldest kids... that is of course after soccer where all three are still playing. As soon as baseball is over... I just learned that youth football practices will be Monday through Thursday for 2 hours. And games on Saturdays... how is this going to work. I am first a dad... an active dad. Not a drop your kid off and leave kind of dad. But I want so badly to go further in my triathlons. I am motivated by our message and what we are doing... I have all this good stuff to do... but will it be at the expense of other good stuff?

I will be an early morning runner soon....

2 comments:

Krista Heiser said...

I hear you! Although I must admit we've opted out of signing our little guy up for football even though he is technically old enough. He just seems to small! But maybe that's just the mom in me.

Anyhow, I know how you feel about the time commitments and goals. I often feel that way in regards to my writing. Of course, unlike you, I'm not quite so willing to do anything else in the mornings. Getting out of bed is challenge enough! LOL

Krista Heiser said...

Ug. Typo.

That should have been..."He just seems too small!"